Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Monday, May 30, 2011

When Bugs Attack...



Something else Memorial Day weekend marks - the start of bug season.



We've been lucky up until now, I'd say, since we've had some warmer (albeit rainy) weather basically sans insects. Well, if the dozen or so bites I've found on my body - so far - are any indication, I'd say the mosquito, knats, and blackfly human harvest is in full swing again.



Dang.



Well, I keep telling myself it could be worse. For one thing: it could be snowing.



But, for another: it could be like the time I visited Venice, stayed in a quasi-sketchy hostel where I saw mosquitos buzzing around the ceiling of my shared bedroom, tried to keep safe under my goosedown sleeping bag, but woke up the next morning looking like I had chicken pox. I'm pretty sure most people I met in Venice and in Vienna (my next train stop) thought I had brought back the plague. Luckily, it went away after a few days.



As I keep reminding myself it could be (much) worse, I'm going to dip in the lake to cool and soothe the itching sensation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home