Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Friday, June 15, 2012

The Faroe Islands - Have you heard of them?

So, I'd like to consider myself to be atleast a little well-versed in countries in the world - I think I owe that to growing up with "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" on WMHT. Sure, I don't always know where a country is or how to spell it. (Ie Djibouti)
But, I have never, ever, even heard of the Faroe Islands before. And it actually looks kinda cool.
When I first saw a photo of it (on Google + actually - yes, people use that), I thought it reminded me of Iceland with a tad of Ireland and the Scandinavian countries.
Well, it turns out it's actually in the middle of all those places. I still don't know much about it, just what I've googled.
But it's very visually appeasing. It looks like there's fjords and green mountainous areas and volcanically-spawned natural beauty.
I have a feeling the European tourists are trying to keep this secret for themselves. I don't blame them. But I'll probably visit anyway....

Just thought I'd share.

2 Comments:

Blogger Graham Yapp said...

I spent two weeks there blogging and watching football (or soccer as you would say!) in 2011 - even if you skip the football I hope you like the photos! There are similarities between the Faroese and Icelandic languages, for sure, but politically they are part of Denmark in a similar way to how Scotland is part of the UK.

http://modushopperrandom.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Faroe%20Islands

You will also enjoy http://faroepodcast.blogspot.co.uk/

which has a great archive of all things Faroese. They were kind enough to include my trip in Podcasts 117 & 118.

June 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM 
Blogger Danielle Sanzone said...

Thanks for the input! I'm enjoying learning about this islands...

June 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home