Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Great Escape Opens May 18

Let the summer season begin!

No, it's not track season. That's not for a couple months. It's opening weekend for Great Escape - which is kinda like track season but parking is more expensive.

This weekend - May 18 and 19, their opening weekend - tickets purchased online are just $20.18, according to their site. It's unclear if this includes the $20 parking fee, my guess is that it doesn't. (sorry if I sound bitter - I remember when parking there was free and prices regularly were still $20....does this make me old?)

The hours this weekend are 10am to 6pm - and the water park does not open until next Saturday, May 25.



I do love the Great Escape though. And Six Flags has done a good job operating them in recent years.

There are about 40 rides (I just counted them), and the new coaster this year is the Screamin' Eagle, which I kept thinking was not new. But I finally realized I was confusing it with the Steamin' Demon coaster. That's also still in operation - they just must enjoy naming things similarly at the park.

For first timers - you must not have gone to school around here since it's a rite of passage for any 6th grader within a 100 mile radius - there's a Storytown (which is how the park started) with small nursery rhyme houses for the kids to explore, a Ghost Town, a Timbertown, a Carnival-like area, the Kidzopolis (which I have to admit, I'm not really familiar with) and the water park.

There's also usually live entertainment - and you can't leave without eating a funnel cake with ice cream. It's a rule.

Tickets are normally about $52.99 (a bit less for kids) and more information can be found here.

There's also a lodge across the street with the same name.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home