Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Make a Day-Trip Out of Exploring Your Hometown

I've been noticing lately that there are actually a lot of really cool things to do in NY's Capital District.

This past weekend, I went hiking at a new place I'd never heard of before reading about it on Local Hikes (Christman Sanctuary in Duanesburg) and I went to the annual Troy Chowderfest. Other recent day trips have included: a hike near Kaaterskill Falls in the Catskills, Saratoga Monument in Schuylerville (which is now sadly affected by the shutdown), Golden Harvest Orchard and Harvest Spirits in Columbia County (where you can get a shot glass for bringing in one of their empty bottles and a snifter for two of their bottles), and Crossroads Brewery in Athens,NY.



There are still a ton more hikes around the area I haven't done and want to check out - including Plotter Kill Preserve. And I still want to see at least some of the Petrified Sea Garden in Saratoga Springs.

Not to mention weekend trips on the to-do list: Atlantic City, and Toronto. And NYC is always fun.



I guess my point is that I read about a lot of destinations but it's fun to read about your home as a destination too, since you don't always consider it to be one. I found this 2006 New York Times travel piece on Troy, NY and the city was recently featured in the Daily News.

Sometimes it takes reading about our seemingly-small hometown in a big publication to get a clear perspective on what's right in front of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home