Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I Was Randomly Searched at the Airport

I don't think I'll ever figure out why I'm always chosen for "random" searches at the airport. I'm always frisked and my bags are always searched thoroughly.

Is my L.L. Bean backpack that just barely fits into the overhead compartments a little too cliche for a world backpacker? Are my usual pink flip flops I like to wear through airport security seemingly too innocent? Like I said, I'll probably never know. Maybe one of these days I'll finally ask.

My best guess is that it has something to do with the fact that I'm an American that has been to countries like Egypt and Turkey, where the Where's Waldos of terrorists tend to hang out.

One memory that comes to my mind was when I, along with two men, were asked to sit in a waiting area separate from the rest of the dozens of other passengers on a flight from Rekjavik, Iceland to Newark, NJ.



I was walking towards the terminal and showed my ticket. At which point, they informed me that I had been chosen for a random search. They brought me downstairs to a security area where they went through my bag and frisked me. They obviously didn't find anything. (I'm not sure what they were looking for?)

So I was then brought to room with no one else in it, but it had a big TV and nice leather couches. And - on the bright side - there were cookies and juice. I guess in Iceland being randomly chosen for an airport search is kinda like our equivalent of giving blood? Maybe?



After a few minutes of being in the room alone, another guy was brought in and then another. We waited there until it was time to board the plane. I talked with one of them for a bit - he was a friendly Irishman who played the guitar and lives now in the Catskills.



Other things that stood out about that trip home from a friend's wedding in N. Ireland via London (where I missed my first flight) and Iceland: seeing a Ben and Jerry's ice cream machine at Gatwick Airport and seeing the Iron Maiden plane.





Today my brother brought up possibly going on another cruise this winter. Since I was *not* randomly frisked or searched on my last cruise, I'm actually seriously thinking about it.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I forgot to tell you how they search in India. At least the lady agent complimented my hat.

November 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

This time, we got the following crossword puzzle clue : Travel randomly that also known as Travel randomly 4 letters . First, we gonna look for more hints to the Travel randomly crossword puzzle . Then we will collect all the require information and for solving Travel randomly crossword . In the final, we get all the possible answers for the this crossword puzzle definition. For more information please enter Travel Randomly.

December 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Travelling is really pleasurable if you obtain car parking services because you can start your journey without a hitch like airport parking Gatwick

March 11, 2014 at 7:11 AM 
Blogger Suzan Baker said...

Travelling always turns out to be a great fun when there are sound and stable parking at the airports to meet all the comfort of the customers. Entire benefits should be given at the airport to avail the brilliant Meet and Greet Gatwick.

April 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM 
Blogger Ferya said...

Perfectly written. meet and greet parking gatwick is the best car parking service provider.

April 11, 2014 at 1:05 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

It is a true that travel is only one way enjoy any area's creatures. But during this time period everyone must be careful about their property which they have. So when I am go to west sussex for holiday trip always I parked my car at Arunparking Limited for safety my property and also get the meet and greet service.

May 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

meet and greet gatwick is an elite parking facility focused completely towards the ease and comfort of its customers.

July 18, 2014 at 3:02 AM 
Blogger carlagrace said...

You must have one of those faces. take it as a compliment. and for the next time try to keep yourself calm while you are at the airport. if you appear to be unnerved whatever may be the reason. they will keep on searching you RANDOMLY...... gatwick valet parking

November 18, 2014 at 4:44 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Tourists always prefer reliable and convenient services to enjoy their hassle free tour or journey and meet and greet parking gatwick fulfills a tourists requirements in a good way.

December 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM 
Blogger . said...

I have the same problem but have traveled extensively throughout the Middle East / Northern Africa / Gulf Region. I'm pretty sure that plays a role in the increased "random searches" and metal detectors going off randomly when I have zero metal on me, lol.

July 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM 
Blogger Nancy Rogers said...

Great sharing. You can also book Heathrow park and ride and save a lot of money.

January 24, 2019 at 2:55 AM 
Blogger Roman J said...

Great piece of work you shared thanks for your kind words it will help all the people who need that kind of information, I found something good for travelers like me. I found short stay parking Stansted system.

October 24, 2019 at 3:45 AM 
Blogger blogger said...

the post says nice and truth. now the best way to explore the globe is the fly traveling. i also prefer air fly to explore the UK cities. https://www.parkimoparkingfinder.co.uk/

December 8, 2022 at 3:41 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

HACK ATM AND BECOME TO동두천출장샵DAY RICH You can hack and crash into it without having too much weapons or weapons. How is that possible?

November 19, 2023 at 6:45 PM 
Blogger Dennis Bell said...

Ezybook offers a seamless solution for stress-free travel from the UK to any destination, ensuring a smooth experience with their convenient parking services. Consider 'Meet and Greet Gatwick' by Ezybook as your go-to choice for hassle-free parking, allowing you to focus on the excitement of your journey rather than worrying about your car's safety. Travel with peace of mind, courtesy of Ezybook's reliable services!

January 19, 2024 at 4:45 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home