Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Edge Indoor Rock Climbing in Halfmoon

It had been a good five years or more since I had last traversed an indoor rock wall. My imagination was already making me a bit intimidated and then I saw this...



...and became even more intimidated.

But, after a quick tutorial from Todd at The Edge and some practice climbs with my friends, we slowly got the hang of it. (aHa!)

Before the Edge, I had indoor climbed and caved at the Albany Indoor Rock Climbing facility on Vatrano Road, off Central Avenue. But I hadn't been in years.

The Edge, while it does not offer indoor caving, has a wide variety of climbing routes for all skill levels - including many beginners' climbs. There's a little "canyon" that mainly has easier routes and then there is a larger (and taller) section for more challenging workouts.

I went in thinking that I would not even be able to make it up the wall but found that I could, in fact, do that. And I did, multiple times.

My friends were also intimidated at first but then said they felt accomplished.

The Edge is great for a girls night out (as we did) or just for a workout or maybe an office team building event. There are party packages and weekly specials - including Ladies Night ($8 not including gear), College and Military Night ($8 not including gear) and Learn to Climb Night with half-priced rentals.

It's an adventure and workout all in one. And it's a lot of fun. (aHa! that rhymed)

Overall, it was a great time...and the music (mainly sing-a-long type stuff from my "youth") was awesome! Never thought I'd be singing "Jumper" from Third Eye Blind while climbing a 30-something-foot wall.

So...I think we'll be back.



If you go:
Location - 1544 Route 9, Halfmoon, NY
Prices - range from $10 to $12 for entrance/ there's a $8 package for gear rental including shoes, harness, and belay device. There are also monthly memberships.
Must sign a waiver and get instructions on belaying. All ages are welcome.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home