Blogs > Millennial Traveler

New and traditional ways of exploring the globe, and your own backyard.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I'm Going to Give Up Social Media for Charity

I have an idea but I want to get people's input on if they'd participate/help: I want to give up social media from Thanksgiving Eve to New Years Eve for charity.
Here's how it would work - I would not check or post on *any* social media (no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, no G+, no Pinterest, which I don't check anyway, etc) for those 35 days and for every day that I am not "plugged in", I would ask that people pledge an amount to a worthy cause (so far, I'm thinking maybe Friends of Camp Little Notch or Col. Albert Pawling Memorial Statue Project, or both).
Camp Little Notch is a former Girl Scout camp in the Adirondacks which is now run by many of its former campers to serve today's youth and provide a natural sanctuary for adults as well, on the eastern side of Lake George.
The Pawling Statue Project is a local endeavor that is partially being spearheaded by my brother Adam to erect a statue of Troy's first mayor, Albert Pawling, at the intersection of Pawling Ave. and Congress St.
I would have my co-workers, family, and friends keep me in check to make sure I'm following through - and make sure I'm not "cheating".
If I do fall off the wagon, I would pledge $25 per day that I cheat.


My goal would be to raise at least $1,000 in those 35 days. I would need at least 29 people to pledge $1 per day (or $35 total) to reach that goal.
The way I see it, this would be a win no matter what: some local causes would get some extra money, I would finally have extra time to write more (both for work and for my own projects) and you'll get a break from my random posts for a few weeks.
So, friends, what do you say? Do I have 29 people who will donate $35? Or maybe 66 people who will donate $15?
If so, I'll set up the donation site (or link to the appropriate sites) and we'll be ready to go offline Nov. 26.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

the friends of little notch are excited to see you do this :) - good luck

November 19, 2014 at 7:26 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home